A LOL Majors Addon Pack
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [LOL] ArmA OFP Site Forum Index -> ArmA 2 & OA other stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: A LOL Majors Addon Pack Reply with quote

Is there any chance of LOL Majors Arma2OA having a downloadable @Addon pack as LOL Flashpoint has for years. Which could include things like tried & tested;

RKSL Studios Royal Air Force Puma HC1 Pack
RKSL Studios British Army Lynx AH Pack
the FEW by CSJ ver .100525
ukf_landrovers
ukf_chally2
usec_maule
britcom3
the Sov Coaler
the Helo drone
GDT Jav mod
@prostitutes-R-us

ETC ETC a lot of really good stuff out there were not making use of!
Why aren't we? any one know? (A link to the download for any new players shouldn't be a problem)
I would be happy to put together a pack for lol seniors approval
just say the word Laughing

PS eg
Rue's mission with the Sovs using the C130 would be far better with Coalers yes

Last edited by JGaz-UK on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluester
Obsessive Poster
Obsessive Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the BAF pack there's not much point in having the ukf landrovers or Lynx. Would rather have this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10747 over the Coaler as the Coaler is no longer in service.
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluester wrote:
With the BAF pack there's not much point in having the ukf landrovers or Lynx. Would rather have this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10747 over the Coaler as the Coaler is no longer in service.

Blue the BAF only has 1! rover no wikis & only one Lynx, & no Challenger tank at all ffs (bit if a swiz really) the Coaler is still in use in some parts of the world & better than Sovs with C130s. There must be a Sov transport mod out there.

the list was just suggested possible mods could be anything people want Laughing

PS just downloaded the IL76 Nice!

Last edited by JGaz-UK on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Bluester
Obsessive Poster
Obsessive Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah would have been nice to have some Challengers in that pack. There is a wmik in OA somewhere but its not called a landrover (or a wmik). I agree it'd be nice to have a Rus transporter.
Zapperguy
Deletions Department

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A LOL Majors Addon Pack Reply with quote

JGaz-UK wrote:
Is there any chance of LOL Majors Arma2OA having a downloadable @Addon pack as LOL Flashpoint has for years. Which could include things like tried & tested;

ukf_landrovers
ukf_chally2
usec_maule
britcom3
the Sov Coaler
the Helo drone
GDT Jav mod
@prostitutes-R-us

ETC ETC a lot of really good stuff out there were not making use of!
Why aren't we? any one know? (A link to the download for any new players shouldn't be a problem)
I would be happy to put together a pack for lol seniors approval
just say the word Laughing

PS eg
Rue's mission with the Sovs using the C130 would be far better with Coalers yes

Gaz,
Oh, where to start.....
There are many addons out there, we cannot use them all. Many of said addons will at some point be updated and thus create version compatibility issues with people who cannot dl large "addon packs" due to bandwidth limits and thus need to dl the individual files. Aside from that problem, the statement that these addons have been "tried & tested" is pointless unless they have been tested using them together in all the various combinations with the addons we currently use on all the islands we are also using. As a clan hosting a dedicated server we have a responsibility to our community to have as close to an error-free experience as possible. That means we can't have an "Oh, an error box always pops up on this mission and we just live with it" attitude about new addons/mods. The kind of testing required to add that many addons for a dedicated server would take weeks of work and a separate dedicated server set aside for such testing (which we don't currently have). You just got the DLC Brit stuff yesterday and already you want more when most people may not have even patched from 52 to 54 yet. You're not that old - you have some time yet. Very Happy

NOTES: (from Armaholic's page on this addon)
There are several issues with the addon. Mostly Cosmetic in nature:

* All Textures are WIP and will change!
* Several of the cockpit instruments are blank
* Cockpit SMDI is too shiny
* GPMG has no RVMATs
* GPMG Texture is poorly optimised.
* AI pilots get a bit excited and fly erratically at low speed.

NOTES: (from Armaholic's page on this addon)
There are several issues with the addon. Mostly Cosmetic in nature:

- All Textures are WIP and will change!
- Several of the cockpit instruments are blank
- Cockpit SMDI is too shiny
- GPMG has no RVMATs
- GPMG Texture is poorly optimised.

The fact that the notes report the intent to change the addons make them bad candidates for a "pack".

ukf_landrovers
Known issues:
For various reasons this addon is incomplete, and has been released in an 'as is' state. At this point in time, there will be no future updates and fixes after the initial release.

Damage textures are abit iffy over distance on the WMIKs - LOD issue I can't (don't want to spend time on) work out.
Tail lights don't work properly.
I've also had some strange visual glitches that nobody else can seem to replicate, so I'm attributing that to my gfx settings. Hopefully it's not an issue.

UKF_chally2
Known issues:
Unfortunately there are....lots.
I'm actually not going to list them, because once you notice them they'll annoy you forever It's best you don't see em!

I will actually do quick fixes (read, config updates) for any game breakers that pop up, but it should be OK. *fingers crossed*

The main issue is of course, that it looks ugly as sin and could use a new model and new textures!

Both UKF suggestions require the following:
- UKF Misc
- UKF Shared

These "helper files" would also need testing for compatibility with everything else. They also both report some pretty significant "known issues" that doesn't seem to live up to the "tried and tested" description you gave them.

usec_maule
An okay plane. No weapons as I recall and it has a ski-plane version for our non-winter islands. Confused

Changelog:
v.100525
- All configs had a total overhauled. Should be no more mystery shootdowns.
- Included the B17 which is still WIP though it is playabe.

WIP could be a problem, but this pack does have several planes in it and could be worth a look after the latest server updates with BAF have settled down.

britcom3
Appears to be a modified version of an ARMA1 addon that is rife with errors and glitches. ARMA1 stuff is generally bad news for ARMA2.

An-72 Coaler
Requires:
- Community Base addons

That means at least weekly updates with the 6-updater - do we want to go there again?

the Helo drone
Not sure what drone you mean, but there is an unmanned LB drone that came with OA that we already don't use. Do we really need more unmanned aircraft to gather dust?

GDT Javelin mod
Requires:
Community Base addons

As above.

@prostitutes-R-us
Not sure if this was a joke or a real addon but could not find any sign of it online.

Whew, that was almost like work. The other consideration is what the addon "brings to the table". For example: Do we need 2 versions of the same heli or would a new island be a better use of that bandwidth. If there is an addon we would only use in 1 or 2 missions, it is probably not really "needed". Unique but useful items are the best choices here. Please don't take offense or feel like I'm summarily shooting down your suggestions, but selecting addons for a dedicated server is not an easy task with many things to be considered. See you on the server.
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the glaring deficiency in our addons now is the lack of Russian equipment. We have no Russian fighter at all, just strike and bomber aircraft. We have no Russian transport(fixed wing) at all. We have no Russian naval units at all . I dont see the point of adding duplicate units. If we are going to contemplate adding addons they should bring something unique or vasly improve stuff we already have.
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zap your Catholic conservative perfectionism coming to the fore here.

Given all the really good addons out there the Armor2 side of LOL has a pitiful collection,
compared to the LOL Flash Point @extras. Cool

ps different versions have different weps, as with the Eurofighter

Dont tell me you dont have the prostitutes-R-us addon zap Wink
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluester wrote:

Found This;

Military Operators of An74Coaler
Angola
National Air Force of Angola
Egypt
Egyptian Air Force - 1 + 2 (An-74T-200A) (6 more on order)
Georgia
Georgian Air Force
Iran
IRIAF - 4 (An-74TK-200) 7 (An-74T-200)
Libya
Libyan Air Force
Moldova
Moldovan Air Force - 2
Peru
Peruvian Air Force - 2 (operated until late 1990s and sold to civilian market)
Russia
Russian Air Force
Ukraine
Ukrainian Air Force - 26
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: AM I OUT OF STEP? Reply with quote

The RKSL & UKF are sticklers for detail & upfront about any possible problems but I found very few problems with their addons

RKSL we already use their Eurofighter
RKSL Merlin,Puma,Lynx, not noticed any problems. (1st person in Lynx very quiet which makes a change)

UKF have had two updates in the last few weeks the Weapons Pack 1.0 http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=4522&game=1

And also new the new Landrover pack http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/t-88258.html
(If you read to the end you will see there was an recent update)

UKF Challenger Not personally noticed any problems.

Obviously LOL seniors would vote on exactly what was selected (Being open to suggestions I would hope)

ANY THING FROM THIS LIST PERHAPS?
http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/f-91.html

Or am I totally out of step here, Crying or Very sad and would no one else out there quite like a @extras download with a few choice addons for LOL ArmA2OA

Last edited by JGaz-UK on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Muerte
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we are pretty slow at adding addons as we look for quality over quantity. When we have a truly established server and a good number of regulars we will look into adding addons that actually add something to the game as opposed to different textures etc. We really want our servers to grow and become popular, much like our OFP servers are/were. Directing people to numerous addons to play is difficult and I think we lose a lot of good potential players if they have to add a bunch of addons first off. We are trying to get more players on and used to us so they can see that when we do start adding addons they will be more willing to get them so they can continue to have some good gaming with us.
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean Muerte. Which is what I meant about having a downloadable Arma2OA addon folder available for all on the LOL server as there is now for OFP.
Mr.Peanut
Gerbil Repository

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

addons are a pain in the ass and generally add nothing new to game play. most of them never make it past the beta stage before their makers get tired of working on them. at that point they are either riddled with bugs, or poorly optimised. there are so many ways to -fork- up an addon it is not funny. and most of these issues you would not find until after the addon is already on the server.

before suggesting addons, please carefully read through their release threads on the BI forums and/or their home sites. do your homework.
Striker
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Muerte !! First get the server known to the community and get it popular ,then we see for addons . I am into the addon thing too but honnestly it's true that we should be sure they are non bugged before doing anything and also the game is not old let it get older and my french side says it's like a good wine it takes time for it to get better and more you wait the taste it has .....
JGaz-UK
Lost In Space Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]addons are a pain in the ass and generally add nothing new to game play [unquote]

I Totally disagree, there are some really good worthwhile addons out there. that people have put a lot of work into.
But I'm obviously in a minority of one here (or no one has the bottle to agree with me)
Obviously if I want to make use of any, (other than the one or two wanted by the leaders)
Ill have to use other servers.

ps
peanut where do you think I get the addons did'nt you check the link!

ANY THING FROM THIS LIST PERHAPS?
http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/f-91.html

And also quote;

And also new the new Landrover pack http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/t-88258.html
(If you read to the end you will see there was an recent update)

Like I said I'm on my own here so I give up
Whoarmongar
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject is not bleedin closed and never will be. Addons are an important part of OFP/Arma2 and will remain so
However any addons added to the server must be worthwhile, bug free not beta AND WORK ON A DEDICATED SERVER.
Without addons we would never have had the wonderfull F16, or the current hot jet the Typhoon on the server, and lets
face it the default Arma2 Aircraft are frankly rubbish, The AV8B VTOL system stinks the F35 has poor weapons and
performance the A10 is ok (no wheels up/down sounds or indicators) but is no dogfighter and vulnerable in hostile
enviroment due to its low speed.
Many of the regular Arma2 LoL players have spent more than 200 hrs on Arma2 LoL servers and may at this point have valid
reasons to want to see other addons on the server. Addons do add to the gameplay experience for example in Rues mission
where we HALO in to destroy the enemy transport planes it would be far better if these aircraft were OPFOR transports
and not C130`s. Extra content is always nice and JGaz sugestion that any addons we use on Arma2 servers be put into a "PACK"
like in OFP has its merits because then when people get on the server and say "what addons are you guys running"? we can say
"go here grab that pack then come back and join us" so I dont think this should be dismissed out of hand its basically a good
idea.As I said before I think we urgently need Russian fixedwing transport/ Fighter aircraft addons for reasons of balance and
and mission authenticity. An OPFOR navy would be nice to maybe a frigate/destroyer type ship and perhaps freighters we could
have a go at sinking, but here im in danger of running into a "wish list"to my knowledge these addons dont yet exist
(at least the freighters dont) and OFP is not a naval battle game I know.
Finally I have to admit I find it kinda ironic considering all the work thats been and is being done to introduce extra addons to the OFP
server for what is basically an obsolete game is considered OK whilst with the dynamic evolving Arma2 game Addons are just considered
to be a "pain in the arse".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [LOL] ArmA OFP Site Forum Index -> ArmA 2 & OA other stuff All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: