LOL GAME PLAY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [LOL] ArmA OFP Site Forum Index -> Mission Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGaz-UK
Amok Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: LOL GAME PLAY Reply with quote

A question for discussion gentlemen;

Is blasting everything on the map with Mortars in the true tradition of LOL mission play, or just a way to rack up a huge body count & tick every thing off without having put much thought into it?

In reality (you know its my thing )with Collateral Damage & counter battery fire, it wouldn't happen.
I could as in "7.62 death", I could put in 'too many Civs dead ends the mission' or give the enemy Mortars/Arty, as they would have, again in reality.

Any thoughts on that? Opinions welcome.
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called strategy, which is in LOL tradition instead of running in shooting, that's call of duty. LOL always had a tradition of long planned out missions. We blast the shit out of a lot of enemy and we still get our asses kicked. It's Arma 3, it's modern warfare and we do have a lot of ordinance at our disposal, why wouldn't we use it? If you want to take the ordinance out, then the missions take even longer, which sucks for those who like to rush ahead, get killed then have to wait for the next mission.
kylie_minogue
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also as for body count, most of the damage I do is with an m110.... You guys need to start wearing your glasses Shocked
kylie_minogue
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience required...... All round
Zapperguy
Deletions Department

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise an interesting point worthy of discussion. I don't use mortars or UAVs as a general rule because they're more complicated than I care to sort out. Having the majority of the enemy dead prior to setting out, does fundamentally change mission play vs going at it slowly with conventional weapons. The issue is the deadliness of laser guided mortars (and mortars in general), as well as knowing exactly where the enemy will be. Using mortars in a TRGM2 mission or an Escape where the tasks, enemy and locations are randomly generated seems like a more level playing field.

That said...

If one player is using a UAV and another controls the mortar, then traditional LOL team-play is indeed taking place. It's really not that different than having a ground troop laser a target for a pilot to drop a GBU. There is still great teamwork, regular gun battles, and armor that must be dealt with in the effected missions, but you won't live to see any of it if you get too eager/impatient and forge ahead alone while they're mortaring. I'm not a fan of having the entire playing field decimated before I've seen it either, but it's not every mission.

Ironically Gaz, you may inadvertently be responsible for the frequency those missions are chosen. When you see mortars being "too effective" or don't like the way a mission is being played, you change it. Now it's different, harder, and a more compelling choice than if you left it and it was too easily beaten. Continually tweaking missions to make certain tactics or a style of game-play less effective, is only going to drive a competitive player to try it again and again until they beat it.

I'm happy to hear other opinions on this.

Amok Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay, thanks for the input I've always put a ton of random in so missions hopefully play a little different every time so peeps don't get bored too quick.

Some peeps dont do QCB, some like it .Some like to vent their spleen & blast away, stress relief lol. It would be a boring world if we were all the same

I'll try to keep the playing field level would not want missions to get too easy,

there is always a harry plan.
Deletions Department

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know about "Harry plans"

Amok Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straits of hormuz next week
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you asked for feedback then just steamed on ahead and did your own thing anyway? I for one am sick of this shit
JGaz-UK
Amok Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: LOL GAME PLAY Reply with quote

Feed back on "LOL GAME PLAY" not missions?

If your talking about "Team usa buggies" last weeks mission is back on server

Your sick of this shit! Its nothing to what I am.
Amok Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Game play Reply with quote

On the subject of missions seeing as its come up; A version of Taki T34 with all hindrances or obstacles to heavy fire and mortar removed. it's now on the server called "co@10_TAKI-T34_Unlimited.takistan". Will remove older version in 24h unless anyone objects.
Deletions Department

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I object. Nobody asked you to remove what was there.
Amok Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I didnt remove anything! Objection noted all versions will remain.
Amok Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: House Of Clowns missions Reply with quote

Zap You complained I twiddled the mission (Taki T34) so as to make it difficult to just sit on the hill and blast away with impunity at the enemy, true I did, so I just undid a new version, old remaining, as posted.

Do I twiddle missions to try & influence game play, yes Guilty as charged. Why? to try & create a level playing field between Red & Blue forces, again why? so as to keep missions interesting, varied realistic, & repeatable, as in it plays a little different every time.
Final why: for the benefit of you LOL gamers! have a think about all the missions you guys have played over the last few years, & who made them, found them, fixed them. I think its fair to say about at least 75% me, happy to have been of service, but I'm beginning to wonder why I bother.
Deletions Department

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz, I said this: "My concern on both Buggies and Taki T34 is that because our mortars are stationed in the base, the enemy fire their mortars back and destroy all our kit. Not having expected vehicles or weapons before even setting out is beyond disheartening in a 2.5hr mission. I would rather see the mortar batteries well away from the base camp so the crates and vehicles don't have to be put in jeopardy. If we're talking "realism", no squad is going to continue with their planned mission when their base has just been/attacked destroyed.
Just don't move the mortars on those missions unless you and Kylie agree on it please."

Where in there did I say you should forge ahead and change it? I specifically said in the last sentence not to change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [LOL] ArmA OFP Site Forum Index -> Mission Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: