pepzombies addon discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [LOL] ArmA OFP Site Forum Index -> Server Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikiller
Former Senior Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: pepzombies addon discussion Reply with quote

hi,

Opening a new topic to don't spam the beaten map topic.

Incubus wrote:
about Ep3.

i am working on it, but atm i have a problem what i want to solve
Mr. Peanut (maybe Nikiller too) will help me to set zombie scripts.

Well, about zombies, there's a big problem because the scritping of this addon is cleary not made for MP. I'm not going to explain why since it'll be too long and nobody care Smile.

In short the server/client locality is not respected and some script are running forever even after the zombie is dead and deleted. Then, if you have 50 zombies 50 scripts (maybe more) are running forever.

You can always use the pepnos class (no scripted zombies) but there's only few types of zombies aviaible and after some tests I discovered that they are also scripted. I guess it is a mistake from addon maker.

There's 3 solutions to solve the problem:

solution 1: unpack the pepzombies.pbo and include a condition at start of every initzombiewhatever.sqs to exit them.

Something like:
Code:
? nikZombieNoScript: exit

Then you have 2 choices:

1- Use internal addon scripts if you like.

2- Write in the init.sqs of your mission
Code:
nikZombieNoScript=true
so you can use a custom zombie script.

PS: don't worry for the custom zombie script we are working on MP compatible solution + a performance friendly spawning system Smile.

In my opinion it's the best solution but it means that funhouse players must delete the old pepzombies.pbo from their LOLExtras2 folder and replace it by the new one.

solution2: unpack the pbo and rewrite the internal addon scripting to make it compatible for MP. Same as above people must replace the old pbo by the new one. But this solution means more work.

solution3: keep the addon as it is and make zombie missions with only few players because of the extremly CPU intensive scripting. This solution means desync, lag, server/client crash, zombie worping and so on (segmentation fault, out of memory...)

Please choose solution 1 Wink

cu.

Nikiller.
Nikiller
Former Senior Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Incubus wrote:
Nikiller wrote:
In my opinion it's the best solution but it means that funhouse players must delete the old pepzombies.pbo from their LOLExtras2 folder and replace it by the new one.

this is the problem now... maybe will skip zombies. :=/

Maybe not Inc there's maybe a solution to change the addon only server side (it's in test ATM). But off course it'll be better if each clients download the new zombie patch. If a client have the "old" version he'll still be able to play but with less good performance.

The patch is ready and works. Now we need one more week (or 2 Mr. Green) to develop a reliable zombie script + performance friendly spawning system compatible with MP that mission maker is able to include in his mission.

I really don't want to skip zombie since I like the way they blowing up when I give them hell with a grenade vest. Models are cool and animations are good made, it's just a problem of MP compatibility that's all. WYW units were bugged in MP and now everybody got the new patch. Why not do the same thing with zombies? Compressed, it's just a 25Mo dl.

cu.

Nikiller.
ROKKA(fin)
Average Poster
Average Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye its just like with the WYW, why to give up? If it works we just tell people to DL the new version thats not hard and takes only few freaking seconds!
GO for it guys! :nikiller: Incubus
Incubus
Lost in Addons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, agree

Nik, i just sent u letter to you from Dr.Pepper. Maybe it not count really, but good to know author is available for us and he will love u if fix his pack for MP Wink

cu

PS: welcome aboard again Nicolas.
Gerbil Repository

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I will take Nik's changes and then add a couple of my own to make the default scripts a bit more friendly. Nik, I did email you but reading your post I see now you and Max would prefer to write your own scripts from scratch(from the beginning), so I will take what you sent me, add unit locality checks and script exits upon zombie death.

I will change the name of the variable you used, LOL_NoScript, to something more specific like LOL_NoPEPScript to avoid possible future conflicts. Sounds like a plan? That way, Inc can release his zombie missions and later upgrade to the new scripts you and Max write.
Nikiller
Former Senior Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Mr.Peanut wrote:
Nik, I did email you but reading your post I see now you and Max would prefer to write your own scripts from scratch(from the beginning), so I will take what you sent me, add unit locality checks and script exits upon zombie death.

We are not really starting from scratch but we are improving the existing zombie script with all locality stuff, a better synthax and some functions to hightly improve performance. But we need time to develop and test. We are working step by step Smile first, we want the script to work and then we'll proceed to the addon fixing. More we improve performances and more we can have a big bunch of zombies who want to bit your legs Very Happy

Btw, I answered to your e-mail and sent you more info about scripting errors we found in all "movezombie.sqs" and in the config.cpp.

here's a quote from an e-mail that Inc recieved from Dr.Pepper and sent to me (I know it's a bit complicated ):
Dr.Pepper wrote:
I really want the zombies to work for MP.
It would be confusing if everyone would make his own changes for the addon, so an official update would be the best solution I suppose.

IMO we should stay in touch with Dr.Pepper, get his approbation, work together and make an official update instead of just LOL update. At the same time [LOL] will be better known on BIS forum because if we are able to fix this addon, it'll attract new ofp/ArmA2 players. A lot of peeps are following the topic on BIS forum.

Take time and use the LOLpepzombie patch (with yours and my modifiations) as a beta patch for the moment and test a mission with the separate script with a lot of players on FH. The principal quality of a separate script is it's easier to modify and control if something goes wrong and then players don't have to DL 10 new patches. After this test phase, let's contact Dr.Pepper to officially modify the addon with a fully working script and then make a final DL on nakedsquid.

Duno what you think about that guys, but I think it is the better way to proceed.

cu.

Nikiller.
Incubus
Lost in Addons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree,

u can found Dr.Pepper on kanonenfutter clans homepage:
www.kanonenfutter.org

his public e-mail address: dr.pepper@kanonenfutter.org

and heres his face Wink:

he's very helpful and openminded. feel free to write to him.
Gerbil Repository

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, if nik and max work on real fix, i will work on band-aid.

edit:

1) Changed LOL_NoScript to LOL_NoPEPScript
2) Added locality check to all init scripts, after setFace and setMimic commands
TO-DO 3) Will check all other scripts for locality and death checks

I remember reading somewhere way back when, the original author of the script apologised for how compact they were, but added this was to speed up script reparsing. for scripts with lots of fast running loops, the less text, the better.
Mr.Peanut
Gerbil Repository

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think my solution is ready. I uploaded to Baaa.

Mr.Peanut's CHANGES
===========
LOL_NoScript changed to LOL_NoPEPScript.
Added locality check in all unit init scripts. Check ensures that move zombie scripts are called on machine on which unit is local but that commands such as setFace, setMimic, setObjectTexture are called globally.
Replaced all instances of alive_z with alive _z.
In initialise.sqs, monitortargets.sqs is now only called on server.

There are a lot of other places where certain code need only be called on the server, but they are just variable definitions. No performance hit.

The PEP zombies docs do not mention that for MP missions a game logic named "server" is required!

All of the move zombie scripts already had an exit for when the zombie dies, unless the zombies were set to resurrect. These exits should now work since "!alive_z" is now "!alive _z".

I have uploaded a 7-Zip of the pack here:http://www.mediafire.com/file/rrw4pqz19p529to/LOL_pepzombies.7z

I'll make up a simple demo/test mission, maybe tomorrow night, and put it on Baaa.
Nikiller
Former Senior Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Very nice, thx Pnut we'll test your patch soon as possible. Smile

cu.

Nikiller.
Mr.Peanut
Gerbil Repository

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple zombie demo uploaded to Baaa.

While you guys are working on your zombie scripts, it migh tbe worth testing wrapping the createUnit calls in a function call. I seem to remember that using createUnit in a function caused a lot less lag than in a script.
Nikiller
Former Senior Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Mr.Peanut wrote:
Simple zombie demo uploaded to Baaa.

lol yea I tested it and I survived 5min, impossible to grab magazines in ammocrate because too much zombies wanted to eat me Smile. The spawn lag at start could be avoided if you have allready the zombies types you use loaded somewhere in the map, in sea for example or in a small island far away and setdammage 1 each dummy zombies few seconds after the mission start. Like that the model and texture is loaded and don't create spawn lag at start.

Mr.Peanut wrote:
I seem to remember that using createUnit in a function caused a lot less lag than in a script.

Yes you remember well, using createUnit in function increase performance. Max allready did it and also included a unique index foreach zombies created, it's like a unique phone number for people who follow the topic but don't understand everything Smile. Like that, you can control each zombie independently if you want or know where they are for example. It gives a better control.

Max also made a very nice blood effect coupled with an eventhandler hit, now when you shoot a zombie you have some blood spraying. It stills WIP but it gives an idea.

Here's the new mist effect based on BAS mist but more performance friendly. Just imagine it in a forest with the good light and some zombies moaning around. Also WIP.

Stay tuned more will come in the next weeks, maybe some vids.

cu.

Nikiller.
Incubus
Lost in Addons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, nice work all of u!

keep goin. good luck.
Gerbil Repository

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing to keep in mind, is maybe something to keep track of the number of zombie groups, because OFP has a limit to how many groups can be on a map. I guess it is more likely that with 63 groups of scripted zombies your cpu would grind to a halt anyways.

As for the lag in texture loading, that was why I did not compress the addon. The problem is that there are some many zombie types, putting them all on a map in the editor would be a real drag.
Stooker
Amateur Poster
Amateur Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hai there i have played one Zombie Map on kf_Server named "Escape".
The Zombies are very good if they bite you,you are infect and you need Antidode to heal.I have found 3 pbo's found in kf_Addon Pack.They named
pepzombies.pbo,zombiescripts.pbo,zombus.pbo.Maybe INC can use it for his Map,i dont understand anything about Map mapping,but Dr.Peppers Zombies are cool I love them.Maybe we can use these pbo's on LOL Server.

Greetings Stooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [LOL] ArmA OFP Site Forum Index -> Server Stuff All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: